Bike to Work Day: Rolling Along for 20 Years
Join cyclists from around the Bay Area and ride your bike to work. The San Francisco Bay Area's 20th annual Bike to Work Day (BTWD) is Thursday, May 9, an event to encourage cycling as a non-polluting and healthy commute option.
Bike to Work Day is for everyone. This event has been growing by leaps and bounds in the East Bay over the past 5 years, a 285 percent increase in the number of people riding. Bike to Work Day got its start in the Bay Area with the first celebration organized by East Bay Bicycle Coalition members at Oakland City Hall in 1994. Keep the momentum going and join us for the 20th East Bay Bike to Work Day.Bike Commute Tips
- Obey all traffic laws including stop signs and traffic lights.
- Ride predictably, conspicuously and safely.
- Check out your route in advance.
- Make sure your bike is well tuned and your helmet fits.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
If your ride includes BART, check BART's web site at http://www.bart.gov/ guide/bikes/bikeRules.aspx for bike rules, which have changed recently. Remember that BART does not permit bicycles on escalators. They must be carried on the stairways.
Also, AC Transit bus bike racks may be fuller than usual on Bike to Work Day; plan extra time.Use Energizer Stations
Get refreshed! Hank and Frank Bicycles is sponsoring our local energizer station at the Rockridge BART station from 7 to 9 a.m., May 9, providing goodie bags and refreshments.Celebrate Together at Oakland City Hall
Oakland's 20th annual Bike-to-Work Day pancake breakfast, a joint project between the city of Oakland and the East Bay Bicycle Coalition, will be held on Thursday, May 9, 7-9 a.m. at Oakland City Hall, 14th and Broadway.
Enjoy pancakes and coffee, all day valet bike parking, free bike safety checks, free downtown rides, Bike Bucks, an awesome raffle, and more, such as great stuff for your bike from these Oakland bike shops:
- Bay Area Bikes (light set)
- Cosmic Cycles ("seat bag with everything you will need if you break down on a long ride")
- Fruitvale Bikestation/Alameda Bicycle ($50 gift card for Alameda Bicycle)
- Hank & Frank Bikes (light set)
- Lakeview Bicycle (On Guard Pitbull U-Lock)
- Manifesto Bicycles (Boombotix speaker & a gift certificate)
- The Spoke Cyclery (Kinderfeets wooden push bike)
- Spokeland (one-year shop use membership $100 value)
- Wheels of Justice Cyclery (two full bike tune ups)
For more information, see https:// www.ebbc.org/btwd and Oakland's BTW Day web site: ht tp: //www2. oaklandnet.com/Government/o/PWA/o/ EC/s/BicycleandPedestrianProgram/ OAK024651.Cycling Safety
Free East Bay Bicycle Coalition urban bicycle safety classes are offered in May and June to teach cyclists how to safely share the road. Sign up at www.ebbc.org/safety.