Frog 2014: Year of the Swings
Based on a community survey and outreach at Frog Park throughout 2012 and 2013, in 2014 we embarked on a $50,000 community fundraising drive to add a bevy of new play features: bucket swings, more regular swings, a merry-go-round climber, pole spinners and a see-saw.
This fundraising effort has included:
- Finalized park layout based on community feedback, tree mitigation and city and ADA requirements.
- Secured $100K in funds as part of the 4th Bore Coalition/Caltrans settlement.
- Raised for additional $50K to fill gaps for planning, contingency, permits and equipment.
- Secured a grant from a local family foundation with matching funds from local business donations.
Meanwhile, there have been regular park maintenance events:
- Earth Day Cleanup and Frog Fest with the help of the Rockridge Cub Scouts.
- Fall Maintenance Day with the help of College Prep students.
- Monthly cleanups with the assistance of Oakland Tech BuildOn and Key Club students, Berkeley Kiwanis Club and UCB Circle K.
- Replanted the butterfly garden, newly designed by Rockridge resident Greer Alley, with plant donations from Ace Grand Avenue Hardware and Keep Oakland Beautiful grant funding.
- Finalized tree replacement planting at the DMV in concert with DMV Neighbors Association.
- Dedication plaques installed on park benches.
Worked with the city to resolve maintenance and safety issues, including:
- New creek water safety signage;
- Concerns about people sleeping in the park
- Repairs and graffiti mitigation.
Built by more than 1,300 volunteers in 2001 and sustained over the years by volunteer maintenance and generous donations, Frog Park is a testament to the power of a community-driven vision. The outpouring of support in 2014 has been incredible.
Thank you to all of those who have helped us get within reach of our goal.
Please consider a year-end gift to Frog Park, especially businesses whose donations are eligible for matching funds through December 31. More information: www.frogpark.org/swings.
Update: Frog Park Enhancement Planning
We recently met with local neighbors who voiced concerns about more equipment in the park, and the potential impact on homes nearby of increased park usage. We take these concerns seriously and look forward to identifying how to balance them with community wishes. To share your opinion, please email email@example.com. You can see the latest park plans at www.frogpark.org/swings.