Vernon Rock-Ridge Hall, 1913, known today as Ye Olde Hut

Sunday, January 11, 2015

The photograph shows children in front of the Vernon Rock-Ridge Hall, a community clubhouse of the Vernon Rock-Ridge Improvement Club, designed by its president, architect Clarence A. Tantau and completed in 1913 as the first of its kind in Oakland. Financing for the structure came through a cooperative sale of shares with a final total of 85 shareholders among members of the community. The facility served as a clubhouse for community events and as a children's center. The structure has housed Ye Olde Hut, a familiar saloon along the College Avenue commercial strip, for many years. - Source: Glass negative number in Oakland History Room's collection: G-33. - California Digital Library, http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/institutions/Oakland+Pu...
Room+and+Maps+Division. More here.